Kelsey Wood and Staff
Kelsey Wood, the president and principal agent of Gordon Wood Insurance & Financial Services in Roseburg, Oregon is the PIA Oregon/Idaho Agent of the Year. He could not attend the PIA Day where the awards were given.
Kelsey sent this to us. It is his thank you to the association for the award.
I recently received a call from the PIA Staff after fully expecting me NOT to attend the annual meeting and banquet/awards, to see if I was planning, by chance this year. With teens at home, and business expanding, the treat of going to these meetings is less affordable in time than in the past.
No, I wasn’t planning on coming.
Then the big news that I was selected as Agent of the Year! Very cool and very unexpected. There certainly are many other agents carrying out the tasks of managing an agency, counseling insurance consumers in making the best informed insurance buying decisions, furthering the industry in representing good legislative decisions to our law-makers and making a comment or two with local or state-wide media, but some tarrying group picked me.
I wanted desperately to attend the luncheon, not just to publicly receive this honor, but give a few tidbits to those in attendance.
• We all eventually languish or even become extinct if we act as an island, isolated from our like peers. But as a unified chorus, our voice, our message does carry and have effect. Step out of that busy schedule of processing insurance applications and managing employees once in a while, and talk to the media.
• Email your elected officials.
• Read and respond to our lobbyist, Lana Butterfield on prospective legislation.
• We dwell deep within a very technical industry few fully understand, and most dangerously misunderstand.
• Lacking our voice as PIA members, we become like individual corks in the ocean tossed by any wind-driven wave.
• Government today, would gladly take over the industry, but for our counters to claims of profiteering, unfair trade practices and inefficiencies. Even congress affirmed the validity of our state-based regulatory system in 1945, with the passage of the McCarran-Ferguson Act continuing our industry’s uniqueness, efficiency and proper regulation.
So, keep the faith people. We are truly in a great industry, the foundation of the world economy by providing financial protection to individuals, companies and governments. But a complex misunderstood industry that need our voice, our unified PIA voice to counter emotional often politically driven claims of irresponsible legislation. Our voice the public can hear and be reassured of the promise our industry delivers, the peace of mind of having financial protection insurance provides.