|ALL INDUSTRY DAY AT THE CAPITAL
February 24, 2015
PIA Washington is co-hosting the All Insurance Industry Day at the Capitol. The event is co-sponsored by the PIA Washington and other state insurance associations and will be held at the state capitol in Olympia, Washington on February 24th.
It is an all-day affair.
PIA Washington is concerned about a number of important issues — issues that are important to you. They are:
• A proposal from Governor Jay Inslee for $1.4 billion in new taxes. This is to help fully fund K-12 education as required by the State Supreme Court's McCleary decision.
• A new 7% state-based capital gains tax on individuals proposed by the governor. This tax will impact S-Corps, LLCs and LLPs that pass through capital gains from the business to an individual business owner.
• A concern the legislature will again propose to triple agents’ B & O taxes by taking away our special rate.
• A worry the Office of the Insurance Commissioner will continue to fine agencies for violating the state’s anti-rebating/inducement laws. Thus the industry is proposing modernizing the laws to make it easier for agencies to market to your customers.
• Continued worries about the state’s health care exchange.
• Concerns about the consumer protection priorities of Attorney General Bob Ferguson.
Invest a day for your industry, your business and your career by attending the All Industry Day at the Capitol. The day is sponsored by:
• PIA Washington — the Professional Insurance Agents of Washington
• Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of Washington
• Surplus Line Association of Washington
• NW Insurance Council
Here is the agenda. The meeting is in the Columbia Room in the Capitol Building:
• 9:20 a.m.: 2015 OIC Priorities — Hon. Mike Kreidler, Insurance Commissioner of Washington
• 9:50 a.m.: An Agenda for Consumer Protection in the 21st Century — Hon. Bob Ferguson, Washington Attorney General
• 10:30 a.m.: 2015 Legislature — A Policymakers’ Viewpoint — Rep. Steve Kirby, Chair, House Business & Finance Services Committee, Rep. Brandon Vick, Ranking Member, House Business & Finance Services Committee, Sen. Don Benton, Chair, Senate Financial Institutions & Insurance Committee, Sen. Mark Mullet, Ranking Member, Senate Financial Institutions & Insurance Committee
• 12:00 p.m.: Lunch Reception with Legislators and Staff
• 1:30 p.m.: Washington’s Health Exchange — The Plan for 2015 — Molly Voris, Director of Policy, Washington State Health Benefits Exchange
• 2:00 p.m.: “Changes in Insurance Law & Regulations — Bill Stauffacher, IIABW, Moderator, Tom Parker, Surplus Line Association, Mel Sorensen, PIA & PCII, Gary Strannigan, Safeco/Liberty Mutual, Jean Leonard, Washington Insurers & Mutual of Enumclaw, Dan McGrady, Pemco
Registration Fee: $50
Location: Columbia Room in the Capitol Building, Olympia
Hotel: If you need a hotel room, contact the Doubletree Hilton in Olympia 360-570-0555 for special rate.
Click here for more information about the All Insurance Industry Day at the Capitol and to register and pay via regular mail.
To pay by credit card go to www.wainsurance.org.