The Western Alliance is proud to announce CPIA designation courses will be available via webinar format beginning in January 2024 at  


Check our calendar of events for course informatioin.  

Registrations will be open soon!

CPIA - Certified Professional Insurance Agent

Empowering Insurance Professionals into the Future

The CPIA designation is first-of-its-kind, hands-on, how-to training. To earn the CPIA designation candidates are required to participate in a series of three, one-day seminars THE BEST PART IS NO EXAMS!
Completion is due three years from the first course.

These seminars are designed to enhance the ability of producers, sales support staff, and company personnel to efficiently create and distribute effective insurance programs. Participants leave with ideas that will produce sales results immediately.

While not a requirement, it is recommended that courses are taken in order.E&O Discounts apply for Utica National Policy Holders.

Each of the 3 courses are approved for 7 CE in
AZ | CA | ID | MT | NM | NV | OR | WA

Course Modules

Position for Success

Implement for Success

Sustain Success

During this workshop, participants focus on internal and external factors affecting
the creation of effective business development goals.

Factors discussed include:

current state of the insurance                 marketplace

competitive pressures

insurance carrier underwriting criteria

consumer expectations.

During this workshop, participants learn:

specific tools for analyzing consumer needs

how to utilize risk identification techniques to gather pertinent prospect

skills necessary to assimilate information gathered into customized coverage recommendations

how to prepare a complete submission

tips for preparing and presenting a comprehensive insurance proposal

This workshop focuses on fulfilling the implied promises contained in the insuring agreement.

Participants will:

review methods of providing evidence of insurance coverage

discuss policies and procedures for controlling errors and omissions including policy review and delivery, endorsements, claims-processing, and handling of client complaints

learn how to calculate the lifetime value of a client and techniques for generating referrals.

CPIA Update Requirement

The Certified Professional Insurance Agent designation stands for professionalism, commitment to professional training and results, and technical knowledge. To maintain the right
to use the CPIA designation, designees must complete an update on an annual basis * or maintain a Ruby, Sapphire or Diamond level membership with the CPIA Program.

* CPIA 1, CPIA 2, CPIA 3, Special Topics:

An Agent’s Guide to Understanding and Mitigating Cyber Exposures

Disaster and Continuity Planning for Business and Families

An E&O Loss Control Program for Agencies

The NW Insurance Council sent this out a couple of weeks ago. It’s a good reminder that we ought to be contacting our clients once a year or so to do this kind of an insurance check.

We are publishing the checkup in its entirety. You may want to get a copy from the NW Insurance Council and print up copies and send them to your clients. If so, contact them here: (800) 664-4942

The “once-a-year check-up” and 10 questions to ask your insurance agent or company

What to Know:

A survey conducted in early 2022 by the American Property Casualty Insurance Association (APCIA) found that the majority of insured homeowners were at risk of being underinsured as inflation and building costs increased.

A complete review of your home and auto insurance policies is recommended at least once a year to make sure you have the coverage you need.

Keep a detailed home inventory of all your possessions, and make sure you keep your home inventory up-to-date if you add valuables, such as new furniture or electronics. And don’t forget to add new drivers and vehicles to your auto policy.

SEATTLE, WA, January 5, 2023 – The worst time to learn what your insurance covers and doesn’t cover is after you suffer a loss. For example, heavy rainfall often causes flooding in parts of the Northwest. While many people know that only special flood insurance policies cover damage to your home from exterior flooding, some people may think auto policies will help repair or replace their flood-damaged vehicles. And it will – IF they have optional Comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.

Auto liability insurance (or other proof of financial responsibility, like a bond) is mandatory for drivers in 49 states. Homeowners insurance is required by lenders for people seeking a home loan. Some landlords require that tenants have a Renters insurance policy in place. But there are many policies or coverage provisions for homes, rental units and vehicles that are optional.

The best way to find out whether the policies you have are meeting your needs is to review them at least once each year with your insurance company or agent.

“It pays to get an insurance checkup with your agent or company at least once a year,” said Kenton Brine, NW Insurance Council president. “Change is constant in our lives – drivers are added, cars are replaced, families grow, homes increase in value – even our climate is changing – so it’s smart to make sure your insurance policies are keeping up with your life.”

NW Insurance Council recommends talking with your insurance agent or company representative to review your insurance policies at least once a year, or whenever big changes – or even smaller ones – take place in your life.

To help get you started, here are 10 questions to ask your insurance agent during your annual insurance policy review:

How does my insurance coverage work? What is covered and what is excluded in my Homeowners policy?

Now is a good time to ask how your insurance coverage works and what is and isn’t covered. Know your deductibles (the amount you pay out-of-pocket to repair or replace items lost or damaged in your insurance claim) and ask what your policies don’t cover so you can decide whether you consider other types of insurance as well. For example, damage from floods, earthquakes, landslides and sinkholes typically are not covered under a standard homeowners policy but can be purchased through separate policies.

Are there ways I can save on my monthly premiums?

Make sure you know the monthly cost of your coverage and ask about ways to save on your premiums through higher deductibles or discounts. Things like smoke detectors, alarm systems and bundling auto and home policies under a single company can help reduce your premiums.

Does my policy provide enough coverage to rebuild my home today?

Many homeowners believe that the coverage limits of their Homeowners insurance policy are linked to the market value of their home, but “actual cash value” policies may not keep up with rising costs for building materials and labor in your community. Make sure you have enough coverage to completely rebuild your home and replace your belongings in the event of a disaster. If you’ve made significant improvements to your home such as expanding a kitchen or adding a new room, you may now be underinsured and in need of higher policy limits to protect your investment. Ask your insurance company or agent about “replacement cost coverage,” which can guarantee your entire home and contents will be restored to original condition if destroyed, even if costs have risen over time.

Do I need additional coverage for my valuables?

Homeowners insurance offers limited coverage against losses for expensive items, such as jewelry, fine art or high-end sports equipment like bicycles or golf clubs. Special coverage, called a Floater or Endorsement, can be purchased in addition to your Homeowners or Renters policy to cover the full value of your jewelry or other expensive items.

Am I fully covered if someone is injured in my home?

The maximum amount the insurance company will pay in legal bills and damages if a claim is filed against you by an injured party is shown in the liability coverage section of your policy. If a visitor slips and falls in your home, make sure you have enough coverage for potentially extensive medical bills and legal bills. Your agent can help you determine the right limit of liability to purchase. You may want to consider purchasing an Umbrella Policy to protect your family’s assets, which provides additional liability coverage if your Homeowners policy limits are insufficient to cover a claim against you.

I have teenagers in my home who are new drivers. Do I need to change my auto insurance?

If your teenage children have started driving, it’s generally less expensive to add them to your own Auto Insurance Policy rather than buy separate policies for them.  If they will be driving their own vehicles, consider insuring them with your company so that you can get a multi-policy discount. The type of car a teen drives can significantly impact the price you pay for insurance. And if you’re thinking of simply not reporting your teen driver to your insurer, think again. As a non-disclosed driver, your teen may have less coverage than your policy provides to you, potentially leaving you on the hook personally for liability for injuries or damage after an accident.

How does having kids in college affect my insurance coverage?

If your kids live on-campus in a dorm, their personal belongings are likely covered by your homeowners or renters insurance policy, but you may need higher limits if they have expensive items like high-end laptops or bicycles. If they live off-campus in an apartment or home, they will need their own Renters policy to protect their belongings from theft, fire or other covered loss. And if they leave their car (or yours) at home, you can likely claim significant savings on their auto insurance because they are “students living away.”

Will changing jobs or retiring affect my insurance needs?

Switching jobs or experiencing a change in your salary can alter your insurance needs. If your new employer doesn’t provide as much Life Insurance protection as you had in your old job, you can replace the lost coverage with an individual Life Insurance policy. If you retired and no longer commute to work, the reduced mileage could reduce the cost of your auto insurance premiums.

Will getting married or divorced affect my insurance coverage?

You may qualify for a discount on your Auto Insurance if you have recently married. If you and your spouse insure your vehicles through two different companies, consider insuring both under one policy. Consider updating your Homeowners Insurance to protect new valuables such as jewelry and wedding gifts. If you have recently divorced, you will need separate Auto and Homeowners policies.

What is the process for filing a claim and how long does it take to get reimbursed?

Knowing your agent’s process for filing a claim and the typical timeline for reimbursement will help reduce stress during the claims process. Also, ask your agent if they are available outside of business hours, or if the insurance carrier can be contacted online at any time. Many insurers are now offering mobile apps that allow policyholders to take photos of damaged vehicles, dwellings and/or possessions and file claims from their mobile device as well. Your company or agent can tell you whether you have access to such services.

For more information, contact NW Insurance Council at (800) 664-4942